|Wilson IB Onuigbo* and Basil C Ezeanolue|
|Corresponding Author: Wilson IB Onuigbo, Department of Pathology, The University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Nigeria.|
|Received: July 25, 2018; Accepted: August 30, 2018; Published: March 08, 2019;|
|Citation: Onuigbo WIB & Ezeanolue BC. (2019) Lymphoma of the Ethmoid in a Developing Community. J Carcinog Mutagen Res, 1(1): 9-10.|
|Copyrights: ©2019 Onuigbo WIB & Ezeanolue BC. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.|
Single cases of lymphoma of the ethmoid are rare reports from several countries. Therefore, the present case is from the Ibo ethnic group, which is domiciled in the South Eastern Region of Nigeria. Unlike world patterns, the patient was a child.
Keywords: Ethmoid, Lymphoma, Rarity, Developing community
The ethmoid is a rare site of occurrence of lymphoma. In alphabetical order, individual reports were published in Brazil , China , Croatia , Italy , Japan  and USA . Therefore, the case from among the Ibo ethnic group , which is domiciled in the South Eastern Region of Nigeria, is deemed to be worthy of documentation.
OC, a 12 year old boy, attended the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, where he was seen by Dr. Bazil Ezeanolue. The complaint was of left ethmoidal mass protruding for 3 years. The biopsy consisted of several irregular, flat, pale masses with softish portions. On microscopy by the corresponding author, normal tissue was not seen apart from the mucosa beneath which there were lymphoid tumor cells in malignant disorder. Focal calcification was also noted. Therefore, malignant lymphoma was diagnosed.
The microscopical appearances were as in previously reported cases in respect of bone , palate  and breast . There was even a forensic example of it in a teenager .
Curiously, our patient was a child. In contrast, all the above cited cases ranged in age from 42 years in China  to 79 years in Japan .
Our patient had a localized lesion. In the case from South Korea , it was stated that the ethmoid sinus being involved with the epiglottis is rare. In the Japanese case , the tumor was invasive into the eye and nose.
1. Tinoco P, Pereira JCO, Ferreira FR, Carrara VL, Tinoco MB (2013) B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma of the ethmoid sinus. Brazil J Otorhinolaryngol 79: 259.
2. Yang JP, Wen LJ, Jin CS, Liu Y (2014) Primary diffuse large B-cell lymphoma of the ethmoid sinus: A case report. Ear Nose Throat J 93: E8-10.
3. Danic D, Hadzibegovic AD, Ivana Mahovne (2009) Primary extranodal natural killer/T-cell lymphoma of the ethmoid sinus masquerading as orbital cellulitis. Med Glas 6: 274-277.
4. Catalfamo L, Nava C, Matyasova J, De Ponte FS (2013) Primary diffuse large B-cell lymphoma of the ethmoido-orbital region. J Craniofac Surg 24(6): e602-604.
5. Terada T (2011) Primary diffuses large B-cell lymphoma of the ethmoid sinus. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 4: 799-801.
6. Wang J, Sun NC, Weinstein SM, Canalis R (2000) Primary T-cell-rich B-cell lymphoma of the ethmoid sinus. A case report with 5 years of follow-up. Arch Pathol Lab Med 124: 1213-1216.
7. Basden GT (1966) Niger Ibos. Cass, London.
8. Onuigbo WIB (2018) Bone lymphoma in a developing community. EC Orthopaedics 9: 494-496.
9. Onuigbo WIB (2018) The palate: Malignant lymphoma. Glob J Otolaryngol 15: GJO.MS.ID.555906.
10. Onuigbo WIB (2018) Lymphoma of breast in a developing community. Cancer Therap Oncol Int J 8: CTOIJ.MS.ID.555746.
11. Onuigbo WIB, Ezeanyagu IC (2017) Forensic presentation of malignant lymphoma in a teenager who had resorted to abortion. EC Gynaecol 5: 186-187.
12. Yoon YH, Park WY, Choi YJ, Cho KS (2013) Synchronous, primary, diffuse, large B-cell lymphomas involving the ethmoid sinus and epiglottis: A rare clinical entity. Laryngoscope 123: 702-704.
- Journal of Rheumatology Research(ISSN:2641-6999)
- Journal of Cancer Science and Treatment(ISSN:2641-7472)
- Journal of Otolaryngology and Neurotology Research(ISSN:2641-6956)
- Journal of Pathology and Toxicology Research
- International Journal of Diabetes (ISSN: 2644-3031)
- Journal of Infectious Diseases and Research (ISSN: 2688-6537)
- International Journal of Radiography Imaging & Radiation Therapy(ISSN:2642-0392)