|Corresponding Author: Dr. Mungrue K, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of the West Indies, EWMSC, Mt. Hope, West Indies|
|Received: November 11, 2017; Accepted: December 26, 2017; Published: May 12, 2019;|
|Citation: Mungrue K. (2019) Insulin Initiation: Challenges for Low-Middle-Income Countries. Int J Diabetes Curr Res, 1(1): 10-11.|
|Copyrights: ©2019 Mungrue K. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.|
It is a mini review article on initiation of insulin and it challenges, in both globally and especially in lower middle income countries (such as, Trinidad and Tobago (TTO)). International Diabetes Federation (IDF) revealed that in 2015 1,40,300 cases of diabetes were in TTO. Due to which economic burden was at $322 billion globally.
There are 3 stages to insulin therapy: initiation, optimization and intensification.
1. Shaw JE, Sicree RA, Zimmet PZ (2010) Global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2010 and 2030. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 87: 4-14
2. International Diabetes Federation. http://www.idf.org/membership/nac/trinidad-and-tobago
3. Dall TM, Yang W, Halder P (2014) The economic burden of elevated blood glucose levels in 2012: diagnosed and undiagnosed diabetes, gestational diabetes mellitus and pre-diabetes. Diabetes Care 37: 3172-3179.
4. Mungrue K (2012) The changing face of death. WIMJ 61: 452-459.
5. Hoerger TJ, Segel JE, Gregg EW, Saaddine JB (2008) Is glycemic control improving in U.S. adults? Diabetes Care 31: 81-86.
6. Buse JB, Rosenstock G, Sesti G (2009) Liraglutide once a day versus exenatide twice a day for type 2 diabetes: A 26 week randomised, parallel-group, multinational, open-label trial (LEAD-6). Lancet 374: 39-47.
7. Croom KF, McCormack PL (2009) Liraglutide: A review of its use in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Drugs 69: 1985-2004.
8. Kim SJ, Nian C, Doudet DJ, Mcintosh CHS (2008) Inhibition of dipeptidyl peptidase IV with sitagliptin (MK0431) prolongs islet graft survival in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice. Diabetes 57: 1331-1339.
9. Kim SJ, Nian C, Doudet DJ, Mcintosh CHS (2009) Dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibition with MK0431 improves islet graft survival in diabetic NOD mice partially via T-cell modulation. Diabetes 58: 641-651.
10. Rafaeloff R, Pittenger GL, Barlow SW (1997) Cloning and sequencing of the pancreatic islet neogenesis associated protein (INGAP) gene and its expression in islet neogenesis in hamsters. J Clin Invest 99: 2100-2109.
11. Buse JB (1999) Overview of current therapeutic options in type 2 diabetes. Rationale for combining oral agents with insulin therapy. Diabetes Care 22: 65-70.
12. Leiter LA, Yoon KH, Arias P (2015) Canagliflozin provides durable glycemic improvements and body weight reduction over 104 weeks versus glimepiride in patients with type 2 diabetes on metformin: A randomized, double-blind, phase 3 study. Diabetes Care 38: 355-364.
13. Study 05 Group; Matthaei S, Bowering K, Rohwedder K, Grohl A, et al. (2015) Dapagliflozin improves glycemic control and reduces body weight as add-on therapy to metformin plus sulfonylurea: A 24 week randomized, double-blind clinical trial. Diabetes Care 38: 365-372.
14. Duckworth W, Abraira C, Moritz T (2009) Glucose control and vascular complications in veterans with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 360: 129-139.
15. Advance Collaborative Group; Patel A, Mac Mahon S, Chalmers J, et al. (2008) Intensive blood glucose control and vascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 358: 2560-2572.
16. Ismail-Beigi F, Craven T, Banerji MA (2010) Effect of intensive treatment of hyperglycemia on microvascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes: An analysis of the ACCORD randomised trial. Lancet 376: 419-430.
17. Abdul-Ghani M (2015) Where does combination therapy with an SGLT2 inhibitor plus a DPP-4 inhibitor fit in the management of type 2 diabetes? Diabetes Care 38: 373-375.
18. WHO (2017) Essential medicines. World Health Organization, Geneva.
19. Mungrue K, Lessey G, Tyson L, Williams D (2017) Attitudes and barriers to insulin therapy: Is there a difference between developed countries and developing countries? Diabetes Manag 7: 250-255.
- Journal of Psychiatry and Psychology Research(ISSN:2640-6136)
- Journal of Carcinogenesis and Mutagenesis Research(ISSN: 2643-0541)
- International Journal of Radiography Imaging Radiation Therapy(ISSN:2642-0392)
- International Journal of Internal Medicine and Geriatrics
- Journal of Blood Transfusions and Diseases(ISSN:2641-4023)
- Chemotherapy Research Journal(ISSN:2642-0236)
- Advance Research on Alzheimers and Parkinsons Disease